One Dollar Gold Coins


There are many different One Dollar Gold Coin designs throughout history,
such as - Indian Head, Liberty and American Eagle Gold Coins, which date as far back as 1850.

More recently, on February 15th, 2007, the United States Mint released into circulation the new George Washington One Dollar Coin, the first in a series of $1 coins honoring former United States Presidents.

Modelled after the United States Mint's successful 50 State Quarters Program, the Presidential $1 Coin Program will feature designs of former United States Presidents. Along with the George Washington $1 coin, three other coin types were released which featured John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.

The final gold coin was released at the beginning of 2008 and honors President James Monroe.

We offer a lot of these exceptional gold coins, below:

1855-O Type 2 Indian Gold Dollar (G$1 Coin) - NGC AU Details - Rare "O" Mint!
1855-O Type 2 Indian Gold Dollar (G$1 Coin) - NGC AU Details - Rare "O" Mint!
Price: $841.00 (0 Bids)
Sale Ends: 2h 4m
1855 Type 2 Indian Gold Dollar (G$1 Coin) - Certified NGC AU Details - Rare Date
1855 Type 2 Indian Gold Dollar (G$1 Coin) - Certified NGC AU Details - Rare Date
Price: $465.00 (0 Bids)
Sale Ends: 2h 48m
1855 Type 2 Indian Gold Dollar (G$1 Coin) - ANACS AU55 Details - Rare Date!
1855 Type 2 Indian Gold Dollar (G$1 Coin) - ANACS AU55 Details - Rare Date!
Price: $399.00 (0 Bids)
Sale Ends: 5h 21m
1855 Type 2 Indian Gold Dollar (G$1 Coin) - ANACS VF30 Details - Rare Date!
1855 Type 2 Indian Gold Dollar (G$1 Coin) - ANACS VF30 Details - Rare Date!
Price: $371.00 (0 Bids)
Sale Ends: 5h 38m
Estate Find 1852 - $1 Liberty Head Gold COIN!!! #H4492
Estate Find 1852 - $1 Liberty Head Gold COIN!!!  #H4492
Price: $175.00 (1 Bids)
Sale Ends: 7h 54m
Estate Find 1853 - $1 Liberty Head Gold COIN!!! #H4493
Estate Find 1853 - $1 Liberty Head Gold COIN!!!  #H4493
Price: $175.00 (1 Bids)
Sale Ends: 7h 54m

About One Dollar Coins


One dollar coins were introduced in the year 1849 and it was in existence for a period of 40 years. These coins where initially made in gold. During the period when it was made in gold, these coins were considered as the smallest coins of gold produced in U.S. These coins are also minted in silver and other metals.

Initially the use of gold in currencies was not accepted. But after a couple of gold rushes it was accepted by the U.S congress to make use gold in the production of coins. The California gold rush was the main reason behind the production of coins from gold. These coins were authorized by act of March 3. The very small size of the coin was due to the high value of gold. The coin had 90% of gold and the rest 10% was made up of base metals.

The coins were so small that they were lost easily. The diameter of the coin was just 13mm. the coin weighed around 1.672 grams and the edge of the coin was reeded. The size of the coins was 25% smaller than the coins used today. People did not find it easy to carry and therefore it was not widely accepted.

The two sides of the coin had designs similar to other coins of that age. One side of the coin had the design of Miss Liberty with a crown on her head. The other side of the coin had a circlet which encircles a numeral 1 and below which is the year of introduction of these coins 1849. The words 'United States of America' encircles the wreath.

The one dollar gold coins were minted in Philadelphia, Charlotte, Dahlonega, New Orleans and San Francisco. Each place was specified with a distinct mint mark. C for Charlotte, D for Dahlonega, S for San Francisco were the respective mint marks. Only Philadelphia was not given a specific mint mark. These coins were produced for six years and they were minted on annual basis.

These coins existed only till 1889 and therefore it is considered one of the rarest coins and it is considered as a treasure by people who collect coins and know the real value behind them.